Leaving the United States

.Before traveling abroad, check in with your Designated School Official (DSO). Ensure that your record in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is up-to-date and in Active status. Additionally, confirm that your DSO has signed the Travel Authorization section of your Form I-20 within the last year and that your planned absence from the U.S. does not exceed five months. For more information, refer to the  

Departure from the U.S.

Upon graduation, you have a 60-day grace period to leave the U.S. If you withdraw from 91影视 and inform your DSO, you have a 15-day grace period to depart. If you fall out of status, are dismissed, or withdraw without informing the DSO, you must leave the country immediately.

Returning to the U.S.

When returning to the U.S., you should be prepared to present:

  • Your passport with a valid visa stamp
  • Any other documents confirming your continued student status at Notre Dame such as your I-20, letter from the Office of International Programs, letter from your employer or EAD card.

Your picture and fingerprint will be electronically taken at the port of entry.

Work, Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) 

F-1 students are generally not authorized to work, except in very limited circumstances such as part-time on-campus jobs (20 hours or less) or through Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT). International students must obtain permission from the Designated School Official (DSO) before starting any employment. 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows international students to gain employment training and work in paid internship positions. If an internship is an integral part of your degree program, speak to the DSO about applying for CPT. Not that part-time CPT does not count against the time allowed for OPT. For detailed information about employment and training options available to F-1 students, consult your DSO and visit the . 

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment that is directly related to an F-1 student鈥檚 major area of study. At the beginning of your final semester, speak with the DSO about applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT). OPT allows up to one year of work while maintaining student visa status, subject to certain conditions. International students must also apply for employment authorization (EAD) from USCIS, which involves a fee. Authorization for OPT is not guaranteed. For more information, visit the Study in the States page.